Calculations of each phenomenon from the ring

What sources do you use and how do you calculate the special parts of the doughnut? I want to start with the example of Serbia.
Social ring, I am sure there are different ways to calculate each:
Food security
Health
Education
Income and work (the latter is not limited to employment but also includes things such as housekeeping)
Peace and justice
Political voice
Social equity
Gender equality
Housing
Networks
Energy
Water;

Ecological ring:

Climate change — the human-caused emissions of greenhouse gasses such as carbon dioxide and methane trap heat in the atmosphere, changing the Earth’s climate.
Ocean acidification — when human-emitted carbon dioxide is absorbed into the oceans, it makes the water more acidic. For example, this lowers the ability of marine life to grow skeletons and shells.
Chemical pollution — releasing toxic materials into nature decreases biodiversity and lowers the fertility of animals (including humans).
Nitrogen and phosphorus loading — inefficient or excessive use of fertiliser leads to the fertilizer running off to water bodies, where they cause algae blooms which kills underwater life.
Freshwater withdrawals — using too much freshwater dries up the source which may damage the ecosystem and be unusable after.
Land conversion — converting land for economic activity (such as creating roads and farmland) damages or removes the habitat for wildlife, removes carbon sinks and disrupts natural cycles.
Biodiversity loss — economic activity may cause a reduction in the number and variety of species. This makes ecosystems more vulnerable and may lower their capacity of sustaining life and providing ecosystem services.
Air pollution — the emission of aerosols (small particles) has a negative impact on the health of species. It can also affect precipitation and cloud formation.
Ozone layer depletion — some economic activity emits gases that damage the Earth’s ozone layer. Because the ozone layer shields Earth from harmful radiation, its depletion results for example in skin cancer in animals.
And also, which tool for modelling and get the picture?
I am sure that many before have asked these fundamental questions, but I was not able to find it.

Also, is there already the platform possibility for calculations to become automatized, (each month, quarterly, annually?).

1 Like

Hi all,

Having just faced that question in regards to the small (a bit under 200,000) California city of Elk Grove, and finding that the “inner ring” list is more a place-holder than a definitive categorization of human needs, we decided on the basis of community consultation to revise the “inner ring” list to cover all its concerns, but divided up into new categories specifically tailored to meet local conditions and challenges. That means we expanded more on some (e.g. “networks” into a far deeper concern with loneliness and social connection) while eliminating others (e.g. water and energy, which are in no lack anywhere here). There is in addition a huge literature on analyzing and defining human needs and well-being, and the list on the doughnut chart is just one among many. The important thing is to make sure you have a list the comprehensively enough covers the population you have in mind, and that may differ between Oxford, California and Serbia.

Regards,

Bill Myers

1 Like

Dear Bill, thank You very much for quick reflections. I agree. Even if I decide to involve some other categories (or not), I am not sure how:
1)How to calculate them?
2) Which source to use and measurements?
3) If there is not more info than national level, or even tot that one, how to find local, regional or community level?
4) And how to put and where all the info in order to get the Doughnut result?
I eas speaking with some coleagues mathematitians, that have sime smart neuro-inivative modeling tool… Intuitiin tells me that it is applicable for getting, calculating and modeling the Doughnut.

All the best

Milica

1 Like

Milica, have you checked with your national government? Many governments these days already routinely collect such data on public health, income, education, demographic and various other well-being factors to established international standards, and typically release these sets to researchers wanting to make legitimate use of them. In context of a country or some other particular place you can use budget and other cost data to make economic estimates. There is a huge technical literature on well-being indicators much referenced in public health and some social sciences these days. This topic is so popular these days that lots of academics and goverments are deep into it. You might just need to find and contact the right group already working with this a big piece of this social doughnut economics material in Serbia.

1 Like

Thanks a lot… I am doing my best to find such a group. The closest is the extraordinary crew from Croatia (Institute for Political ecology IPE), that towards degrowth indicators. I did not meet anyone from Activist, Academia or research background to make team for calculations, but I guess I have enormous enthusiasm do push this as a most importaint way… My background is economy and I am an interdisciplinary researcher. I did my basic, then deeper theoretic research on well-being and welfare, and because of too many options, and missing data (for Serbia), I wanted to check all the possibilities from others experience. Thank You all in advance and if someone from Serbia sees this - do not hesitate to contact me with aim to collect and measure commonly! :slight_smile:

P.S. For example on the level of our Republic statistical institute, I could see many data relevant for the SDG (17) goals. There are sorted by different sub-goals. They do not have info for each goal, but for some of them. For example, the measurement is not made in relation to a quantitatively defined goal, because it does not exist (a precisely defined poverty rate
to which poverty should be reduced in 2030). Progress is monitored in relation to the initial year for which data are available, and the degree to which progress is the positive or
negative direction. In such manner, there are some values expressed by %, but having in mind previously mentioned logic.
a) it might be a suitable way to to make the comparison between the initial year and the year of observation; I have in mind to make 2 doughnuts, as a way to see the difference
b) and/or, to involve different colours within the same Doughnut, that will show a trend for the observed time.
c) Last but not the least, once I get all the needed measurements, which technical platform/tool do I use in order to import the data and create a final drawing of Doughnut?
Thanx

Hi Milica,
I was going to suggest the SDG and the Statistical Office in Serbia. It looks like you have already started to look at these. Here is the UN view for Serbia. I also start with the appendix in the book. The Doughnut and its Data. At least there are some descriptions and examples. I also suggest looking at the SDG in the report as there are more indicators that could help identify the information needed for calculations.
For the outer ecological ring, I tend to go to the Stockholm Resilience Centre as many of the definitions correspond to planetary boundaries. They appear to have planetary boundary examples for Sweden and Spain.
One other group is in Leeds University, UK.I They have a world map and data explorer which appears to have some information about Serbia.
Regards, Bruce

1 Like

Dear Bruce,
Thank You very much!
When I involved SDG, it is challenge task to decide which indicator to take as “most relevant”. For example, If we take for an example Food, the SDG report deals with 8 sub-goals, and 13 indicators. In the oficial repoart conducted by Republic Statistical Office, they were able to trace 3/8 sub-goals and 4/14 indicators. In some cases there is just the one proposed by Doughnut, in some not… So we have to be very creative.
:slight_smile: I will take a look on the other reports… I am even thinging that once we have done Doughnut (based on SDG), we can make easier some composite indicators that will arrise form the intuitive picture. Furthermore, we can involve sectoral or departmental approach, by checking interrelations.
Thank You, this was the trace I was asking for , very helpful!
Cheers
Milica

If you will get some code on GitHub/GitLan or Observable, I would be interested to adapt it for Minsk, Belarus while I am still here. Sometimes we get back to building city dashboard (https://city.opendata.by/) but there are no actual open data in Belarus, and it would be nice to get some UN channels to get the data.