Can we be Safe while being Just?

A little while ago I wrote an article about the central concept in Doughnut Economics: the Doughnut model and the position that we can have a Safe and Just space for humanity.

In the article I share my ideas and opinions on what such a space would be practically and if it could even exist.

Perhaps of interest to the people on this forum:

Of course, if you have any ideas to share, I am looking forward to reading them.

This is the version without links on my content that was hidden. Please Google the linked version as “Addressing the Invisible Hole in Doughnut Economics.”

Four month later I will try to address “Can we be Safe while being Just?” with A safe and just space minimizes #FakeNews and #Populism . Thanks for a good review for some one who has not read the book that added other reviews, the first two of which I respond below.

Minimizing Fake News and Populism might start to respond to Duncan Green’s “What’s missing is a decent power analysis and discussion of how the ideas interact with politics (beyond broad social movement activism): not just the power of bad guys, but the workings of democracy.”

With respect to the “Invisible Hole…,” from a systems architecting point of view, housing is a nice example of the relationship with water, sanitation, energy and cooking subsystems. Should income and work be deleted as the basic human needs are in other indicators of shortfall?

Will this comment be censored? Ugo Bardi says “Something is conspicuously missing and it is not a minor element of the overall picture. It is natural resources and, in particular, non-renewable resources.” My more than 5 years old post A complete and fully functional electricity restructuring proposal that I claim satisfies Ugo´s critique has been in the “Invisible Hole” to this day. As energy and materials were cheap, and information expensive, electric power reliability used the former, which can now be started to replaced by the latter in what I suggest in Social Singularity dissolves Climate Change with new ways of leading. [not posted in the discuss doughnuteconomics org — you will see that that singularity might increase mobility a lot].

Yes, I believe so, as I believe doing so broadens our perspective to not only look for solutions within the current (failing) socio-economic system. In the current system income is needed to buy things to fulfill the basic needs, focusing a lot of money and effort on creating jobs (regardless of what kind of jobs) and economic growth. I believe this is faulty. Furthermore, I believe that one will always find something to do (work), or have the freedom to chose not to do something. Think of a weekend where you did your chores and have the freedom to do whatever you want. Would it not be great if we had more time like that?

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.“ – Buckmisnter Fuller

Thank you Diderik for responding at least my question to you. I hope to have replies by others to it. My point of view is that all indicators of shortfall are in someway interdependent (eventually a system dynamic models will emerge), not just income and work, but they might not be part of the top level global architecture from the transformation that I introduced (whch may become obsolete) using the heuristic methodology of Systems Architecting to set the course of the Bright Globalization as a Cluster D North Start. They might need to be addressed differently by collaborative methodology of Systems Architecting in different contexts to transition to Cluster D.

For the benefit maybe of Ugo Bardi that starts with “Will this comment be censored?” and Duncan Green which I addressed in my January 5 2019 comment on you Medium story of Jul 13, 2018 and that is supposed to have access in my tweet the same day, will you please be able to help addressing the reduction of the “Invisible Hole in Doughnut Economics”?