Quotes and pictures

Quotes and pictures

Not every quote in less than twelve words is equally strong. Wording, rhythm, and alliteration can help to memorize it easily but it has to be to the point in order to spread it widely. Quotes are used to indicate the purport of a text where titles can’t do. Texts are good to give definitions, details, comments and explanations. Diagrams and schemes on the other hand are fit for showing overview, coherence, and interdependence of the elements that belong together. But not every diagram that fits on one page causes an ‘aha’ effect of recognition as the doughnut drawing did. In diagrams the equivalent of the limitation of words is in the simplicity and the associations it recalls immediately. The more words are needed to present and explain a new concept, the stronger the aid and effect can be of a drawing / diagram / scheme.

The new economics base model for which the doughnut book has described in extenso the outlines needs a strong set of schemes in order to fill quickly and easily the economics blank space on the ‘slates’ of so many people looking for a theory that helps them better structure their lives and their societies. ‘The Embedded Economy’ scheme showing the big picture is the starting point to hook on. The economy in the centre is embedded in a system of flows. Further detailing that kernel requires a flow-approach to be able to integrate it with the rest of the scheme.

The Economic Reality System (ERS) describes and explains the economic-societal system in terms of flows what makes it transparent, recognizable and accessible for anybody without any preceding economics knowledge. Surf to WWW.ECREALSYS.ORG and get more overview and insight in economics in 27 pages than in the first 100 pages of the old books. Don’t hesitate to start reading. Kate Raworth has written in the introduction of her book on page 25: ‘The fact that you have never sat through an economics lecture may just turn out to be a distinct advantage, after all: you‘ve less baggage to offload, less graffiti to scrub out. Every now and then, being untutored can be an intellectual asset – and this is one of those moments.’.

When I first saw this work I was impressed with its good ideas and in particular with the concept of there being flows in our social system. As I read more I began to realize that although the concepts here have a lot of value and good points about them that there are far better ways of expressing these ideas and that this is a kind of half-way stage to what I wrote and can be found in SSRN 2867751 “Einstein’s Criterion Applied to Logical Macroeconomics Modeling”. It is very important to combine our knowledge of the whole social system with our simplification of it so as to join its parts seamlessly and properly in the most simple way. This is Einstein’s Criterion and the model that follows achieves this far better than does the Beque way for its representation.