The effect of money system structure on the doughnut

I am placing this topic in the Distributive design category, despite the fact that other work on money has been in the Ideas category. I think my take on money sees it as more of a distributive design issue.

The study of exchange used to carry out any economic plan, including Doughnut Economics, requires a study of the monetary accounting system used to trade goods and services. Different historical money systems have led to very different results, based on the values that the money system reinforces. I have looked into this history, and have tried to describe the commonalities and differences between different money systems that have been practiced over the last 5,000 years. This history is illustrative of what ways of organizing money might be consistent with a circular, distributive, democratic economy.

The study, Money Alternatives, which tries to describe these issues can be accessed at https://www.academia.edu/s/b36b6a7e5c If users here prefer a .pdf without having to register there, I can provide one.

I’d be interested to see if Kate and others here see money as described in Money Alternatives as relevant to the doughnut.

In peace, Paul

I am interesting in reading your paper on monetary reform. Years ago I wrote my masters thesis paper on monetary history and reform. After weighing all of the historical evidence I concluded the mot honest money system was the receipt money issued by the Bank of Amsterdam. A deposit bank must not be chartered to be a lending institution as well. That is the open door to the fraud of fractional reserve issuance of bank money.

Ed Dodson
edod08034@gmail.com

Did the hyperlink above not work for you? If not, please send your email address and I will send a .pdf copy to you.

Registration is required, but it is free.

Did the hyperlink above not work for you? If not, please send your email address and I will send a .pdf copy to you.

Ed Dodson here:
Thanks. I was able to download the paper and will set aside time this week to study it and provide any comments that strike me as useful.

Edward,
Glad you were able to get it downloaded.
In peace, Paul