The Flawed EIA Process and Need for a New Development Paradigm

I am a state counsellor for the National Parks Association in NSW, Australia.We are all disappointed by the current use of the flawed EIA (environmental impact assessment) process to rubber stamp development projects.
I have mentioned to my colleagues the approach of environmentally regenerative by design. I am endeavouring to get this new development paradigm accepted by the National Parks Association to then challenge the current EIA process.

I am seeking good examples of success with the application of environmentally regenerative by design paradigm.

Grateful for your advice,

Sincerely

Ross Jeffree

With regard to an example of an environmentally regenerative business model I actually realised that I had been a customer one such model when I went trekking in 2018 in the UNESCO World Heritage Kerinchi Seblat NP in Sumatra, with the Ecotourism Company Wild Sumatra .

The business model of Wild Sumatra provides employment to local ecotourism guides into Kerinchi Seblat as well as homestays and transportation, which brings economic benefits to local communities. It also provides a 5% income stream from the total paid which goes to 21st Century Tiger conservation efforts in Kerinchi Seblat, which is premier habitat for the 200-250 Sumatran tigers within the Park.

In principle, this business model would seem to match the requirements of being environmentally regenerative by good design in the underlying business model.

Ecotourism business models may well be the best places to look for regenerative design because the ecotourism industry explicitly benefits from the regeneration of the natural asset being rented.:smiley: