The Noble Pied Piper and Humanity's Sweet Spot Song

I was reading Kate’s newsletter ‘Doing the Doughnut at the G20?’ and this inspired me to create a visual that explains roughly the actions society could take. When I looked at the 4 quadrant picture showing the World’s countries and where they are within the Doughnut, I realized that by using arrows I could visualize the main course humanity is currently taking and using other arrows, the preferred path we should be taking. If we could get countries of the World so far that they all adopt the new direction towards the soft spot, but each quadrant takes it’s own optimal path towards it, this might be the most effective strategy. So countries could (voluntary?) organize themselves along the scope as defined in one of the quadrants, and show quadrant leadership. Or to put it in other words: countries in quadrant A can now find the shortest path towards the soft spot and skip the route following first countries in quadrant B and then countries in quadrant C. Identical approach for countries in quadrant B, they should not follow the path of C but find direct path towards the soft spot. And countries in quadrant C should also now make top priority of that since they already have already achieved a quite good Social treshold. Then you will get a picture like the one below:

Next step could be to make a short animation movie of this visual.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. Perhaps obvious but I would be most interested in understanding the outliers (those countries further away from your red line) like Vietnam, Turkey and Russia. What characterised them ? Abundance of natural resource , form of government, size of economy etc. Maybe that provides directional guidance on the pathway forward.

This is how good the current measure of economic performance is (GDP):

Worth the watch. As they say, you cant make it up.

What I like about this quadrant model is that it can be used to accommodate companies and sectors as well as countries. I wonder where Walmart sits on this model? Similar with UK agri sector, most of it bottom right!

It gets one thinking about responsibility and leadership. Maybe the quadrant model should plot where (mainstream) media have been succesfull, that is the strategy Greta Thunberg proposes. A more traditional way to look at it is put leadership on shoulders of countries or as you say of sectors. Should those that are legally responsible (countries) also lead, or should those that are able to organize themselves cross-border lead of should those that have caused damage to the planet lead (clean up the mess they have made)? I personally belief we need several lead-by-example leaders, like the 15 year old Greta Thunberg, she clearly mentioned in it her speech to the UN secretary general: “For 25 years countless of people have stood in front of the United Nations climate conferences, asking our nation’s leaders to stop the emissions. But, clearly, this has not worked since the emissions just continue to rise.
So I will not ask them anything. Instead, I will ask the media to start treating the crisis as a crisis.” and “…So we have not come here to beg the world leaders to care for our future. They have ignored us in the past and they will ignore us again…” see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cve4bLDrlM

Inspired by Greta Thunberg, I now wrote a blog with lyrics for a Sweet Spot Song. Details here: https://louisdietvorst.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/the-sweet-spot-song/