Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi Kate and fellow nutters. I am Peter from Bristol, UK. I was inspired on hearing Kate talk at the Bristol New Economy Summit in 2015 which resonated with my personal experience of trying to balance a circular economy outlook with responsibility towards those in our shared planet who not only have so little, but that little is being diminished by our (my) lifestyles.I have lived in Bristol most of my working life (apart from 3 years in West Africa), I run my own small tech business and also manage a Business Incubator working with the most disadvantaged communities in Bristol.

Having recently restructured my business, I am / we are wanting to embed (whatever that means!) the doughnut into our business to be a key driver in our strategy as well as a being the basis for a score card to measure how well we measure up to these goals / intentions.

I am hoping to network with some fellow travellers in this ‘project’ - to learn and be inspired.

Hello Kate, dear friends of Doughnut Economics

Thank you all for your endeavours towards rethinking the science that should allow reason to rule in distributing the material means for human existence. I came across Kate’s blog and book by googling ‘complete economics’, being fed up with the usual narrow ways of addressing economics at the theoretical level. My own field is general methodology, focusing on systematic and strictly integral approaches. I spent many years dealing with systematically complete approaches to science in general, and also to economics.

My own endeavour is to encourage clarity at that level by avoiding all basic assumptions (which are finally mere beliefs) as is usual and leads to the many paradigms and -isms with their limited grasp. Instead I propose to set out directly on the laws of nature that determine the subject matter. This is possible in all scientific disciplines, but it is not the orthodox path. The concept of law of nature was monopolised by natural science with its limited conceptual understanding. A more complete and precise view can reveal a law of nature that regulates all possible forms of economy.

My approach could bridge differences in views and offer a sound basis for developing new systems and practices. For those who are interested in what I offer I wrote an article (“An 8th way of thinking like a 21st century economist”) that is somewhere here on this website.

I hope to hear from you! – Kind regards from Alec in Switzerland

Hello, I discovered your Ted talk last year and immediately was drawn to the principles. Lately, I have been so discouraged by how the Reduce-Reuse- Recycling movement has failed here in the US-we focused on the “recycling” alone all these years. Recycling centers are starting to take recyclables to the landfill as there is no longer a market for some recycled goods. The continued mass production of cheap, low-cost clothing that are used for 1-2 seasons and then discarded. How Amazon is the new Wal-Mart and even more locally owned stores are closing because of this effect (and I’m just as guilty too) and what this means for the future. The list goes on and on. Anyway, I decided to get online to see if I could find ideas of how I could start educating myself and brainstorming with others to bring the doughnut economic principles into my community. I’m a Family Nurse Practitioner and trying to think of ways of incorporating it in the medical field too. Thank you for establishing this platform for us to all connect!

One positive thing that is happening in the medical arena is the Direct Access Primary Care Model. I believe this is inline with doughnut principles and we are starting to see a large influx of these practices opening up. We are removing the health insurance as the middle man and cutting costs drastically to provide good primary care again.

Hi All

My name is Stefan, 48, I work in one of the top consumer research firms in the world. I am responsible for brand and consumer research in the Netherlands. and really want to make an effort to bring the dougnut into my work

I really believe it is indeed time for new thinking.

I am currently trying to find out how I can help to change the general thinking.
But also how I would be able to measure the impact of what we are trying to change. How can I show a company what they are doing. What their impact is.x

I hope I am able to share my learnings and hope to get inspirered by discussions and your learnings.

Looking forward to our new future

I am a retired clinical psychologist/psychotherapist in Germany, especially interested in system thinking. Learned about Doughnut Economics thru the Guardian`s review. Years ago I did a training in systemic counselling/psychotherapy, which gave orientation in my work at a small mental hospital near the Dutch border. For some years I worked as a clinical supervisor for counselling staff in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I hope to contribute to the discussion thru my experiences in reframing.

Hello;
I am a senior Civil Engineering, specializing in water resources (mostly). I live in Canada, on a 125 ha farm on a small patch of farmland that is surrounded by Canadian Shield, not far from Ottawa. I am married and we have 2 kids in school.
I have been studying Sustainability Engineering since 1996, and I’m happy to keep learning. I see Doughnut Economics to be ‘perpendicular’ to the work I’ve been doing - showing me the plan view, as it were, while I’m working on the profile.
I also play with EROI, Transition Engineering, and Peak Theory, all ancillary to Sustainability.

Hello Kate and everyone, I have been involved in tourism in one form or another since 1990 and been through wave after wave of change.Tourism seem to be one of the canaries in the coal mine. I started getting involved in ecotourism in the late 90’s and seen various systems come on stream that seek to maintain the balance of maintaining and, ideally, improving local conditions using tourism as an exchange. About a year ago I became very interested in Cuba. I had never having traveled there because of a huge gap in my knowledge. I realised two things once I started to dig into it. First was to challenge embedded information. I had been completely, let me say it, brainwashed by a lifetime of one sided information, none of which originated from Cuba itself. Second, Cuba is a 60 plus year old living, ongoing social economic experiment. What can we learn from Cubans and what can Doughnut Economics bring to Cuba?

Hi,

Im Chris. I am a Manufacturing Engineer based in Bournemouth. I have recently finished my apprenticeship, so am rather new to my field.

However I am eager to apply my knowledge to the Doughnut and to steer my future learning to it.

I am also a member of XR.

I look forward to getting stuck in.

Chris.

Hi, may I introduce myself. I’m Mark.

Between 2001-2011) I ran a worker’s Co-op in England called Green Dragon. I recycled secondhand books (re-selling the ones that were in good condition and sending the damaged copies to the paper mill). With the money I made I supported my family and also restored native woodlands. It was hard work but a great success - planting some 40,000 trees; creating 2 conservation tree nurseries and helped to get 2 large Permaculture projects in Devon up and running.

After 10 years of this rather isolated lifestyle I needed a break so I left England and moved to Europe to work as a graphic designer in the dance music events industry. In this work I design stage sets, video projections, poster/online publicity, logos and merchandising (T-shirt designs). But now, because of the Coronavirus pandemic, all my up and coming bookings (large public events) have been cancelled. And who knows when such events will be able to restart.

During this period of lockdown and reflection I came across your lectures online Kate. The idea of Doughnut Economics resonates strongly with me and my core-principles. I also teach about the power of graphics at my open-access screen printing workshop and so fully appreciate your understanding of how important visuals are in the spread of new ideas.

So over the last few days I’ve got rather excited about a new eco-business idea that draws on my personal skills and experience – and, as with my Green Dragon woodland project, not only operates within a doughnut-style economy – but also promotes doughnut-style thinking.

At the moment I’m trapped in Berlin and would be very interested to know if there are any British or European resources (online or otherwise) for Doughnut business/coop startups? Any pointers very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mark

Hi Kate,

Thank you for facilitating this platform and congrats on your work.

My name is Stef van Dongen and I am involved in a project to create a local regenerative economic model here in the Eastern Spanish Pyrenees, close to Girona and Barcelona. Please check the website of Pioneers of Our Time for the general idea. Are there any cases of the Doughnut translated to a rural local economy? Would love to learn more about it, and if not available perhaps we can explore how to develop a model area.

All the best,

Stef

Hello One and All,

I’m at a key moment in my life deciding how to invest my energy with my time on earth. We face a complex range of issues & doughnut economics seems to address most of these complexities in a simple manor.

This virus has managed to stop the global economy over night, and allow nature the chance to replenish. This proves we can ‘power down’, I think when we ‘power up’ we have an opportunity to implement where possible and demand where not a more circular or doughnut approach to commerce.

I wish to learn from, exchange with and promote this movement so more can understand that life is less about growth at all costs, but rather living within our wider community, where the planet takes priority.
Time is of the essence and there is much to be done.

“Be the change you want to see in the world”

Dougal

Hello. My name is Grant Gibson. I am Co-Founder of a Benevolent Society in The Pacific Northwest of America called Cascadia Commons Benevolence ( https://www.cascadiacommons.org/ ). We are committed to the long-view of history going forward; and aspire to develop our local bio-region socially, economically, and environmentally. I am mighty impressed with this model of economics and I am going to be seeking ways to base our work around the more-like-reality-model it presents to us.

I am currently writing my own web server framework in Ruby, and am keen on fully integrating various sources of feed data into a doughnut dashboard, and analysis tools, that update in real time on a web app. Also, I am somewhat of an evangelist for the de-centralized Internet that exists far outside the watchful eye and greedy grasp of The Surveillance Economy. I highly recommend the book “The Age of Surveillance Capitalism” by Dr. Shoshana Zuboff who explains the perils to democracy The Surveillance Economy induces.

When viewing the videos presenting a lecture on Doughnut Economics, I thought: Wouldn’t it be nice to get Dr. Michael Hudson, Mark Blythe, Dr. Richard Wolff, and others to collaborate on a definitive work we could present to Economics Students directly as an academically subversive act? The premise here being that no one mind has all the details. What are your thoughts on this?

Given that the default course of our current system is certain extinction for the human family, it becomes one’s duty to subvert its gravitas and render it obsolete. I must say that I love what I see thus far. Well done Dr. Raworth.

Please feel free to engage me on any subject. Let’s chat.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark Sandoval and i´m from latinamerica.

I am a Latin American economist, specialized in financial systems and behavioral economics. Actually i´m working with dinamyc system models and found this doughnut economy approach and i will try to connect them and put it in spanish for my region people

1 Like

Hello,

I’m Maria Xuereb, a mother of a 5 year old girl and self-employed. I live in Amsterdam for over 20 years and am originally from Malta.

I’m enticed by Kate Raworth’s economic structure and am happy to read that Amsterdam will now be following the doughnut model.

Excellent work and looking forward to reading and learning more on Kate Raworth’s works as well as other people’s input here.

Best regards,

Maria

Hello! I am Jon Balke, norwegian composer/musician, who also runs Madstun.com, an art centre in the countryside in Norway, where we have done a lot of research and investment into small scale sustainable energy solutions. I read your inspiring book in 2017 and have been waiting to see more implementation of your ideas. As most of my work now is cancelled in the pandemic, I finally have time to read the book again and participate in this forum, to learn more. I do not have so much to contribute in terms of academic knowledge, but if I can somehow contribute with my lifetime experience from culture and art , I would be happy to do so.

Hello Kate and fellow doughnut subscribers! I’m a Grampy who worries about what world my granddaughters will have to contend with. Last month a friend invited me to a Board of Trade luncheon where the keynote speaker was from Unilever Canada talking about how they’re taking the initiative worldwide in engaging ‘Circular’ economic practices. It was of coarse as wonderful as anyone could imagine! Not unlike the wonderfilled work that the WWF are undertaking on behalf of people and planet!
The monetization of nature and obvious ramped up schedule of the Corporatocracy to gain worldwide control of and restriction to access of all natural resources is alarming.
The principals and values of Indigenous peoples who are protectors of water and land … who respect the relationship between people and nature … who look at abundance as that which you leave for others or yourself the next time you need as opposed to taking, hoarding and monopolizing … abundance being ‘available as required’ … seems to be eloquently described and prescribed in ‘Doughnut Economics’.
I’m looking forward to learning more and sharing with my family and greater community.
Wayne

Hi Kate, I am so happy to hear there is dialogue about changing how we look at what it means to be a thriving community. I worked for 33 years in a pharmaceutical company and was in my corporate, well-cared for bubble. Now that I am working part-time in a local elementary school in a disadvantaged area, I am starting to understand the ‘have nots’ and how that came to be. I have gotten very involved in politics and recently started a sustainability committee but I am struggling to understand how real change can be made and looking to find a movement that has traction…and hope.

Hello all!

I’m a young professional based in Washington DC. I currently work at an NGO that researches transnational illicit networks, but I’m hoping to grow into the “carrot” side of network dynamics. I have been exploring nontraditional approaches to propagating sustainable, equitable wellbeing.

I believe in the power of social infrastructure and capital. I was introduced to the idea by Alex Pentland’s Social Physics, and more recently, Hilary Cottam’s Radical Help has opened my eyes to the far reaching possibilities when we appreciate the value of human connection. From there I found Doughnut Economics, and the rest is history! I’m excited to learn, engage, and create with you all.

Hello all,

I am a humble food coop manager from New London, Connecticut, USA. What an interesting time we are living in. I’m hungry for change in our economic systems and stumbled upon the doughnut economics last week. I will be reading more about this soon and am looking forward to being a part of this community and hopefully part of the change.

Rachel

Hi everybody. I’ve recently come across the concept of doughnut economics, and I like the way it provides a simple way to visualise how a business should behave in today’s economic, societal and environmental climate. I’m a computer scientist, engineer, entrpreneur and humanist. What I am looking for is a way that something like doughnut economics can be made ‘the norm’. I have a feeling that the way science uses conjectures and refutations (ref Karl Popper) as a means to test ideas for fitness and as an antidote for human nature could be used to encourage sustainable business ideas for much the same reasons. What we have to do is try to break the ‘chain of greed’ which defines how businesses are valued, and we have to encourage another form of human emotion such as kindess and compassion. But ultimately, a person runs a business so they can make a living (ref Adam Smith), and if I am competing against businesses that only have to worry about financial sustainability, not the broader form of sustainability, I am going to lose out unless my would-be customers are aware of the difference, and are prepared to make the choice in my favour. That’s a big ask when my customers are just trying to feed their families on a limited budget, and sustainable products cost more. So, I’m keen to think of something that involves emerging technologies but is not dependent on it, that has the simplicity of the scientific process, and works because of simple human needs and desires, whilst being sustainable. So, I will be reading these posts avidly to see if there is such an elegant solution. And I’m keen to add to the discourse if I have something of value to give. /Roy.