Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi Brian, welcome. Must ask; is that Boston, Lincolnshire, England or Boston USA?

Hullo to all. I’m Michael Linton, from Vancouver Island in BC, Canada.

I’ve been active in the development of circular economy tools - particularly circular money - since the early '80s and I’m naturally attracted to doughnuts of almost any substance.

By way of introduction, and to show my specific interest in this discourse, here are some slides on the basic idea that Money Patterns Matter. There’s also an hour of video for the determined.

Noticing some Irish influence, here’s an Irish Question, Irish Answer
a simple solution, elegant and unplanned, to a simple problem - no money when you need it!

cheers, Michael

Hi Michael,

Nice to meet you and happy St. Patrick’s day from the Emerald Isle! I enjoyed your ‘Irish Question, Irish Answer’ and the account you give is generally how I remember it (I was young at the time, but still endorse cheques sideways so that more signatures can be added in a list, if needed!). The pubs acted as clearing houses and the whole thing was made possible by strong community and social capital that made it difficult to cheat. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if the same response would be possible today.

Hullo Graham - I suppose from your recollection that you weren’t too young for the pubs! I agree the decline in social capital etc does shift the context, but then so do QR codes and NFC payment systems. So the technical processes are much easier now than they were then, but the main thing that needs to move for such a possibility is still , as ever, the bit between the ears.

cheers, m

Hello fellow doughnut-ers!

You can call me Martin. I’m from Spain and now that the book was released in Spanish. I have written this review in Spanish (here) for our Association “Autonomia y Bienvivir” where we try to clarify and debate the need of changing the present paradigm.

I began my career as an engineer (1993), moving on to complete a degree in Social and Cultural Anthropology (2010) and a Masters in Sustainability and CSR (2012). The conclusion of the final Master’s thesis in sustainability (Construction of the foundations for a normative model based on the paradigm of Sustainability) argues that our society should focus mainly on responsible wellbeing and global ethics as leverage points in the complex problems of our planet and society. It’s funny because the big square model, with their 16 small squares looks like a “waffle.” There are some similarities between this model and the “doughnut”, both are made from similar stuff and looks for a Dynamic equilibrium between sustainability and wellbeing.

After that (at the end of 2012), I went to UK (Totnes) with my family and worked in Network of Wellbeing around this world of Environment and Wellbeing so I discovered a lot of initiatives for building a better Planet with healthier and happy people. Satish Kumar, Transition Towns, Resurgence magazine, Schumacher College were a great inspiration for me. In 2013 I met Kate Raworth in Schumacher college where she was showing us this wonderful model. This was a great Wow! because although I knew the 9 Planetary boundaries, seeing the social issues included were the perfect picture for our humanity.

After my return to Spain, almost 3 years ago, my role has been “househusband” so I can understand the household economic quite clearly. I hope that next September when the smallest child goes to school I can return to have more time for clarifying my role of “anthropologist of the new paradigm” in some projects that can emerge and help people or organizations to connect the points and go for it.

Meanwhile, I’d like to learn from you and try to do the best of me in this doughnut discussion forum.
Cheers!

J Martin Twitter: @ResWellbeing @BienestarRespon

Hi - to clarify I’m in Boston, Mass. in USA.

Hi everybody and thank you Kate for creating these dialogues, and the whole “doughnut movement”!

I am Alessandra from Italy, economist by training, environmentalist by passion. I started working for WWF years ago, then I spent a few years doing research in European projects, mostly about the socio-economic impats of environmental projects. I am now back to WWF (once a panda, always a panda…) working on sustainability from a broad perspective, from institutional advocacy to partnership with companies.

I look forward to explore some of the discussion threads I can see in this forum.
Cheers,

Alessandra
(@AlePrampolini)

Hello Kate, hello valued members! Thank you for this creative platform.

I’m environmental engineer and I’m working in the mining sector. Also I’m working on sustainability as individual. The mine I work in is the only nickel mine in the northern hemisphere that possesses this technology. I’m working on environmentally sustainability in mining sector. And with my individual works my aim I am trying to develop a business model that contributes to the development of communities that are in need of development, such as African continental societies, by providing the participation of institutional firms. With my aim I want to make Global Life Support Centers. No borders, no religion, no race have just people.

Sincerly,
Serkan Soyuer
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/serkan-soyuer-25b91880/

Hi from Brazil.
Julio here.
I was very glad to see this proposal which, IMHO, allows a more systemic and comprehensive perception of how economics can be good and bad at the same time.
I don’t really like to talk about myself. I’m graduated in Oceanography, got a MSc. in ecology and DSc in energetic planing with focus on environmental economics. Full details can be found at my linkedin profile (https://www.linkedin.com/in/juliofcampos/)
Although currently unemployed, I’m collaborating in the development of sustainability indicator for a agroforestry system in Amazon.
Also I have this blog (https://freacs.blogspot.com.br/search/label/English) and, in this technocratic world of “wonderful solutions” I like critical discussions that focus also on the “dark” aspects of the so proposed solutions.
Personally I follow Meadows report and am pessimistic about making the corporate system change enough to avoid that scenario. But I am always searching for practices that actually make a difference instead of only look good at the sustainability reports.

I guess that that’s it.
cheers
Julio

Hello, I am so glad to find Doughnut Economics! I first came across it by reading a review. Recently, I bought an audio book and went through it twice! The themes resonated with me very much. I am a doctoral student, with the Department of Philosophy at the University of Melbourne and my project is on the ethics of the contingent workforce. While I deliberate on workplace relationships and labour regulations, etc, i would love to get into the forum discussion more and find others who might be working in allied areas, etc.

Cheers,
Rich

Hi - I am Johannes Moder, living in Graz, Austria.
I was a control engineer for big steam power stations and have been working for a long time as a hobby with analogies of technical cybernetics in the social and economic field. And I have found many analogies.
Your book is therefore a great pleasure for me!
My home page (in german): http://members.aon.at/kyberkratie/

Win-win Sharing the Work (STW), will give us the means to behave both sutainably & justly with each other. It’s what’s best for ALL, both workers & owners. Attaching the work week to the unemployment rate (the legislature setting a small % by which the pay for each hour beyond the first hour’s agreed upon rate would be increased, so as to spread the work around & thereby share it) making employers give less OT & hire more new workers, ending foot-dragging & too big to fail & motivating maximum productivity, ALL THE WAY TO replacing public education with having to prove literacy to vote, is WHAT’S BEST FOR ALL WORKERS. FDR (or Bismarck) gave us the 40-hour week, so this is not unprecedented. The % difference between a 40 & 35-hour week is greater than the unemployment rate at the depths of the recent Great Recession. Workers, always having the prospect of more work, would, with a minimum of PR, take to being as productive as possible, eliminating large parts of the welfare state & lots of management. Had we had such a scheme, at the start of the Great Recession, no-one would have seen any need for spending trillions to save giant corporations. Perhaps STW might make government so small it might be hard to find volunteers to do the job. It would certainly cause other countries to adopt a similar plan to stay competitive (& drop plans to dominate the world) & the democratic duopolies to let go of their own (structural) authoritarianism. Whoever adopts STW first will outstrip all others. With STW, employers would still have the right to fire for laziness or incompetence & hire for less or more than the standard work week. There’d soon be more free time, greater productivity & wealth once everyone got the point, as well as more opportunity for individuals to start their own business & improve their skills. Meanwhile everyone works hardest when they work for themselves. STV is not mere “full” employment, or a mere workers’ job market, but an actual Commonwealth.

Ranked Ballot, voters ranking candidates in order of preference,will give us STW. The (simplest to explain AND accomplish (human scale, ideologically neutral (lacking any attempt to structurally pre-determine the result), women’s equal representative (one of each district’s TWO reps of each gender) & sufficient for all good purposes) “additive” form of RB is counting the first choices & then, if noone has 50%, adding in the next choices, & so on, til someone finally does. RB, plus the “instant” part, running on the single issue of RB, promising a citizens advisory board, based on”Organized Communications”, randomly assigned discussion groups electing reps (by RB) to higher & higher random levels, til one small group remains, will give us instant practicable fulfilled Democracy everywhere.

Because it gives an equal chance of winning to all combinations of programs, not just parties, RB is Simultaneously both most Just AND most Free. See Preferentiality on Yahoo Groups. (Prefer-entiality.Preferential-ity.) Because of this great light in the eyes of the world & cause it always takes its majority from the middle (while giving an equal chance to all proposals, on a case by case basis, not just one at a time & to all Viewpoints to sway the mass in their direction), RB is more top-dead-center counter extremist than all the many recent retrenchments combined.

The recent win for RB in Maine, the first right-leaning place to adopt it, is transformative. RB will give Parliaments a chance to do away with the last vestige of Biggest-Gang-On-The-Block-Ism by choosing their Prime Minister by RB from among the members & Presidential systems the means to end the last vestige of King-Of-The-Hill-Ism by choosing their Presidents by RB, give both a shining example to show the world, give the Muslims a means to choose their leaders from the great non-violent mass in the middle, give collective leaderships a means to avoid adventurism PLUS transfer all those trillions now being wasted on dead-end war & war preparations to actual useful investment.

RB is the answer to all things. It will give us All Powers to Their Lowest Appropriate Level, Sharing the Work, A PERFECT MARRIAGE OF Frugality & Liberality, Rich & Poor, Left & Right, FREEDOM & JUSTICE, Young & Old, Tradition & Modernity, Young & Old, Red, Black & White, Woman & Man, Productivity & Environs & Palestinian & Jew, Justice with an Eye for Freedom & Freedom with an Eye for Justice, A Head for the Headless (tech) Beast, An Ecological Politics, Skillful Means & a Middle Way, but it will not change the essence of anyplace that adopts it, only give them more light-footedness & nuance.

Let all for RB try to install it in their local organizations & political units, get on the ballot to run on the single issue, promise an OC-based Citizens Advisory Board, ask those who sign their petitions to petition for them as well, cast a blank (NOTA/None of the Above) ballot, demand a response from office holders to RB &/or help this effort or others like it. A full page national ad would be sufficient to put RB to all the world, assuring that everyone knows that everyone knows about RB thereby making RB impossible for big media to ignore. Please help make this message as big as possible.

[Beyond that, the country is said to need 50,000 truck drivers & the National Fire Service needs to hire large numbers of people to clear all the kindling from the forest floors.]

zoe morgan roman christian sydney z
preferentiality on yahoo groups
movement for ranked ballot
USA, Planet Earth

I just found your TED talk. I am an amateur ecologist and identify with the Sierra Club and AFSC.
From the perspective of a WWII veteran, I contribute articles occasionally to the OpEdNews website, mostly on themes related to your endeavors. You can peruse titles at:
https://www.opednews.com/author/author92139.html?sid=92139.
In particular, “The Case For Human Economics” and “Do We Really Need More Jobs?” are closely related to your cause. They were considered valuable by Dr. Glen T. Martin, president of the World Constitution and Parliament Association.

Hey Kate, My name is Skip Robinson and I’m 65 year old. I Have always enjoyed economics, especially what I call socio-economics, the relationship between society and money. IMHO I have read some of the great economists of the 18th, 19th and 20th century like Milton Friedman, Bastiat, Von Mises and Hayek. They did not just emphasize productivity but they also emphasized allowing individuals to seek their own means of production and consumption rather than the Nation States various redistribution of wealth strategies determined by political means. Rather than producing F-21 fighters, an individual is better off and would produce affordable housing on their own. As an example, the mixed economic model has produced a real estate market where the average person can no longer afford the average priced home here in the U.S. Average people are being forced to rent as rents skyrocket past income affordability. This is not a result of the free market, it is a result of the mixed economic model some call the private/public partnership or a social democracy. The problem is that the private sector and the public sector are antithetic to one another, because the public sector is required to obtain is operating capital from the private sector via taxation and regulatory fees and thus places a financial burden on the private sector. Wealth doesn’t come from thin air. It is created by producing a profit; now you have produced wealth. Even the production of gold and silver itself, utilized a the predominant medium of exchange for thousand of years now, requires capital investment (money and labor) to acquire it, unlike printing money into existence as all the social democracies around the world do gradually starting to do it in the early 1900s. A printing press just gives those in political and economic power money at their proverbial fingertips to dole out as loans, grants and Government contracts to their cronies.

They talk a little about the producer, but the consumer is even more important, but they must have the money and proper resources to achieve what you are suggesting. We cannot tax individual into poverty with over 110 different taxes and regulatory fees if we want them to survive. Then we wonder why there are now close to 100 million Americans living at or near the poverty line. We tax individuals on their labor, time and intellect they exchange for money as if it is income when income is defined as gain on capital.

It has taken me years to figure out how the ruling oligarchy has placed so many in the majority into such levels of poverty and hopelessness as drug addiction and deaths are showing. The economy is improving but not for most people. They are living in debt up to their eyeballs so it just looks like everyone is doing well. We are the greatest debtor nation, both private and publicly in world history and this is just not sustainable.

An educated consumer is the key but the majority must also be allowed to keep the fruits of their own labor and produce the affordable goods and services they need to prosper. You need to tell people how to do that. Just be prepared for a lot of pushback from those who are well off under the current system and those that are ignorant enough to believe their lies. .

The most interesting reply that I’ve read so for. Ranked ballots have and are still in existence in a number of social democracies. Somehow the ruling oligarchs are still able to get their people into positions of power. There are a number of reason democracies and democratic republics have all failed over time. Massive amount of the analysis is available with a simple search, so I will not elaborate. What we do know is that the lesser the power of the nation-state and overall tax rates, the more the majority prospers. In the case of the nation-state, the lesser the better, however, the nation-state has the propensity to grow as time and history have shown. In 1950 the overall annual Federal Budget was only $314 billion, today it is $4 trillion annually. Of course that has to be adjusted for inflation but the loss of purchasing power of the currency is also bad. The U.S. Constitution was an attempt to restrain the power to tax and the scope of government power. It obviously failed at achieve these goals and I know of no society in world history that has been successful at providing for what is in the best interest of the majority. The nation-state has however been very good, in every single case at redistributing the majorities wealth to the ruling class and their special interests.

At 65 years old, I know of no way, nor does anyone else I’ve ever read, in which to beat the ruling oligarchy at the political game they control. You may want to reconsider that this is not possibly, as history has shown us over and over again. Each generation enters the game thinking they can make that evolutionary change and they fail as each generation before them did. I’m 100% confident it’s the institution of the nation-state itself. Even though there is literally more evidence than can be read in a lifetime supporting my conclusion, it is still a very hard sell. We of course know government is a necessity and taxes and death are absolutes. Do you think it was an oligarch who came up with those cliches?

Care to suggest some search terms?

Hi all,
Interested in applying some concepts in Nicaragua - as many know the many changes in government and abundance of resources - will allow for an incredible incubator for the Doughnut Economic principles
Keep Ideas flowing
Steve Cox

Hi Kate,

Just watched your TED talk (congratulations!) and then discovered this forum. Happy to collaborate on this!

We had a chat a while ago but I’ll introduce myself to the others on the channel. I work with a non profit called Happonomy. Our goal is to create and promote an economic system that puts people’s wellbeing, and by extension the wellbeing of our environment, at its center. An economic system that works for us instead of us working for it.

Looking forward to things to come!

Cheers,
Stef Kuypers

Hi Kate,

Heard many podcasts, watched the TED. I am working at the UNDP Asia Pacific, recently I was looking into the topic of “circular economy” and ran into your work again and decided to join the forum. It would be great to get some of the Doughnut discussion in some of our discussion. Let me know if you can help?

Patrick

Good day to everyone!

I have my consultancy in Finland, and we are now developing a New Cycling Economy Solution for the World. The founder of it - Armenian, Moscow-based businessman, German Lalayan, who is a bigger Pb exporter in Russia (Maglug Group of Companies).

The Troventum is a decentralized, blockchain - based platform, which will use own cryptocurrency, secured by the real recycled material in a Platform.

It will serve consumers, manufacturers, retailers, collectors and recycling companies. It will serve people, small and large business, and our planet Earth.

The MVP will be created first, with Pilot project in Russia. After that we are planning the Pre-ICO and ICO.
The goal of Troventum is to bring a complete process and material flow chain solution to the Recycling Industry, using large grade of integration between the Interfaces, software, business models, processes, market place, logistics, financial models and finally – the blockchain technology and cryptocurrency, related.

With Troventum we are going to solve recycling problems, which exist in every country in the world:

1. limited transparency
  2. effectiveness of collection
  3. lack of liquidity of material collection
  4. hard bureaucracy
  5. low utilization efficiency on factories
  6. not enough raw materials in a circular economy
  7. low motivation of consumers with recycling material collection Worldwide, and
  8. lost trust between people and Countries generally.

We are now looking for the direct investments, Partners, Future users of the Platform, Developers and professionals, creative people.

The UNIDO and Sitra are interested in Troventum Project too.

Please read our press-release here: http://ins-news.com/en/100/966/2551/Troventum-is-the-future-of-recycling.htm

An official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-yy1AWXwY&t=21s

Please contact us, if you can help us to bring Partners, future platform users, funds, investors and any other effort, so we can make it happen!

Ivan Kalishevich
Finnish Pro Consulting Oy, CEO
Troventum project COO