Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi, my name is Colin. I have just finished my final year of my English Language & Literature degree at Uni. I was/am a mature student. I had an agonising debate with myself whether or not to do a Sociology degree instead as my passion lies in finding solutions to change the way humanity has shaped the world. I am not an academic by any means, but have always had a compulsive need for self education. That combined with life experiences that have educated me in all areas of society, have driven me to find solutions before I leave the earth as I genuinely believe it is our duty to leave a better world behind us.

I attended your talk yesterday at Hay and was overwhelmed by the solutions you proposed and the visual similarity of your doughnut economics model to a social model I have been working on for some years now. Without a sound understanding of economics, just a self educated understanding, I was unsure how I would work out if it was socially viable.
Your economics model appears to be the answer I was looking for.
I believe that your proposal for a new economic model is essential as inequality in society is primarily down to the economical inequality and it’s growth. The biggest challenge I see though is convincing society that it will work and make things better for all as the majority of society itself fears, on an individual basis, being worse off than they are now. That’s why I feel a new social model also needs to be developed to help show how much better life can be for all if the majority back some revolutionary changes to the ideological model we currently live under.

Hello from Finland.

I just bought the book Doughnut Economics (Donitsitaloustiede in Finnish) and have browsed through it. A true cornucopia of inspiration. I referred to Raworth’s Safe and Just Space for Humanity in my sociology Master’s thesis from 2016. Using an extended case study of a participatory global change research event, I tried to update sociological theories to better accommodate environmental and sustainability concerns. The doughnut shape was actually presented at the event, but before realizing it, I started to draw a sphere called ARGIL. Later I noticed the doughnut in event presentation slides, and its connection to Rockström et al. Because Raworth’s doughnut was also used in other sources, I presented the image alongside the newly crafted ARGIL.

I enthusiastically support Raworth’s quest to update theories, visual framings and ways of imagining phenomena or concepts.

My educational background is MA in English philology, M.Soc.Sc. in sociology. I’ve worked in university admin, public sector and companies, but for the sociology thesis I was just a participant observer student.

Glad to see an English major thinking about switching to sociology in the comment thread above. Why choose, just do both.

Global Challenges, Local Publics. Observations on a Future Earth Townhall Meeting

Hi Kate,

I am a cardiologist from Argentina, currently working only in clinical research. I watched your TED some weeks ago and I was fascinated with the model you proposed and I wonder how this doughnut could also apply to clínical research . One of my roles in clinical research is a clinical trial liaison, which means I work on patient recruitment and retention as well as on protocol education to the investigators and their team to make the research succesful. I have been working on that role for the last 5 years as part of an international team and it gave me opportunity to travel many public and private hospitals in my country and some from Latin America which allowed me to see the great potential the country has for conducting research with a very good quality and reach patient populations that need a better treatment for their diseases, particular for patients with rare diseases where in many cases there is no current pharmaceutical or medical device treatment,. In many cases some patients do not have access to an appropriate medical treatment and that is where I think a doughnut for health could help. Working in an international team I could see that this issue is worldwide and sharing experience with my colleagues abroad have allowed to see there is something that can be done better for reaching patient population that needs a better or a new treatment for their diseases, especially for rare diseases. So I would like to develop my project for the innovation program this year about how we could know better patient population with rare diseases and how pharmaceutical, medical devices companies and health departments of the countries could help to people have have a better access to health care and to new drug treatment. Knowing better our population would also help to understand better which new drugs or medical devices would be worthy developing by the pharmaceutical and medical devices companies . I can’t wait receiving at home next week your book about ‘doughnut economics’ to learn more about the doughnut and to catch ideas about howto develop my project. In the recent years I have discovered how much I am interested in economics and social phychology and now I feel more confident on thinking about a project. Thanks for sharing your doughnut project, Sergio

Hi all,
I’m Keith Akers. I am a vegan writer and activist from Denver, Colorado, U. S. A. My web site is Compassionate Spirit (“Simple living and veganism in a world of limits”).

In addition to the marvelous book Doughnut Economics, I’ve also read Herman Daly’s textbook Ecological Economics and other writings in this genre. My formal training was in philosophy (BA), but I pursued a successful career in information technology for about 20 years (now retired).

Hi, I’m Richard Wheeler. I initially graduated in physics, worked as a control systems engineer and then (after taking a further qualification) turned to teaching business and management. I spent most of my teaching career at Coventry University (where I also did quite a bit of work on curriculum development. I retired from full-time work in 2003. From 2004 up to last year I worked part-time for Warwick Business School, and for five years was Academic Director of a distance learning MBA we ran for IBM.

I’m interested in how the ideas Kate introduced in Doughnut Economics could be translated into the MBA curriculum. I’m also interested in whether an individual firm could introduce Doughnut Economics principles on its own and stay competitive - and whether it’s practical for one country to go it alone.

Hi Everyone, I’m Nicholai Go, currently residing in the Philippines but took an undergraduate degree in architecture at Rhode Island School of Design. I am vastly interested in economics and how it plays a role in the way we design both architecture and our cities. For my thesis, I questioned our search for sustainability. Can we truly design sustainable architecture within the premise of an unsustainable form of economics? This lead me down the path of finding more forms of alternative economics. Unfortunately, I only found out about your doughnut economics afterwards but now I am definitely using it as a valuable research tool for my own search. I would love to get yours and everyone else’s feedback on my thesis to explore possibilities.

Apart from urban planning, I also got really curious about hospital design and tried to develop my own sustainable form of healthcare and its architecture.

I would love to get your feedback.

Thank you,
Nicholai Go

Hello All,

I’m Aman Pant, a recent graduate from Goucher College, MD, USA with a double major in Economics and Peace Studies.During my time in the US, I was a constant critic of the growth oriented market economy which required conspicuous consumption and exploitation on multiple levels to sustain itself. Despite the many positives of the 21st century market economy (my opportunity at a global education being one) I found myself questioning the basic assumptions of economic theories which were introduced to us in academia and was not satisfied with many of the answers. My other major, peace studies, is a highly multidisciplinary major which advocates for lean thinking and critical analysis of existing structures to bring change for the good. I found myself in an intense intellectual battle between what seemed to be polar disciplines. But as I tried to verse myself in the disciplines, I realized that they were much more complementary then I initially thought. Hence, I am now somewhere in the middle, on very thin ice (I believe for good because that is where the solution lies), striving for a “Peace Economy” for namesake.

I just moved back to my homeland, Nepal and recently started reading your book. I have only gone through the first third of the book but can already see that Nepal, despite being an underdeveloped country ( by many mainstream economic measures) has the socio-cultural bases which is key to your vision of a sustainable 21st century economy.

I am here hoping that we can use the diversity of experiences and positive, change oriented energy that we bring to this forum to lay the foundations for sustainable, equitable and peaceful economies of the future.

Together we shall find the Sweet Spot!

Aman

Greetings, I just found your TED Talk and have never heard of Donut Economics. I read a book titled “The Screwing of the Average Man” in 1976 and concluded what I was taught about economics in college had to be mostly nonsense. So I decided to read Samuelson’s Economics cover to cover to find the problem.

I discovered that economists ignore the Depreciation of Durable Consumer Goods. So we run the world on defective algebra. I tried telling the world in 1999:

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

There is so much talk about economics but the confusion is maintained.

Hi Kate,
I am the coordinator of Rethinking Economics Australia and have been thinking a lot about your doughnut concept. To me it apppears that you are effectively describing the 2 parameters or boundaries to all economic activity, namely Nature or the planet one the one side and social justice, human rights including political-legislative limitations imposed by society on the other.
Following this interpretation I conclude that while Nature is a given, the political-legislative parameter is a product of human beings which should be based on equality and democratic principles. The intermingling of economic interests with political interests corrupts them both. Once these two spheres of human existence (economy and human rights) are rightly understood and approrpiately constituted, we may also come to realise that a third element infuses our existence as human beings, and that is human culture, intelligence and creativity, the foundation and purpose of all our efforts.
Hence I recast your doughnut as comprising Nature/planet (maybe on the outside or inside) and social justive/ regulation on the opposite side. Human culture (knowledge, insight, creativity) is a third dimension which enables our intelligent application of technology to nature and also informs our understanding of justice and human rights.
I look forward to more discussion!

Regards
Bernard Thomson
Adelaide

Couldn’t rethinking economics mean making double-entry accounting mandatory in the schools? It is 700 years old, how hard can it be? Everyone does not need to know how to manage a billion dollar corporation but they should know what they lose on depreciation of automobiles.

http://www.toxicdrums.com/economic-wargames-by-dal-timgar.html

Does Australia import junk designed to become obsolete from the United States? The Laws of Physics do not change style every year.

Hello, I’m Chris and I live in Mérida, Extremadura in Spain where I am researching the use of graph databases for creating relationships between communities from the ground up in terms of social networks. Doughnut economics is somewhat new to me, but I live in a region where the population is diminishing year on year, and it needs to motivate its service sector away from its traditional agricultural roots. It has an abundance of natural resources, but it is principally a transit region, connecting the likes of Madrid, Lisbon and Seville by road (it’s why Tesla have recharging stations here).

My background is data communications which has led to a natural affinity for connecting things and I want to see how Doughnut economics can make use of positively exploiting Extremadura’s location and the use of its resources, human and of nature in general towards becoming a sustainable services region; it won’t survive by its agricultural roots alone. Extremadura was once a powerhouse during the Roman occupation, and they knew how to make best use of communication links.

I look forward to reading more, about the subject and I hope there is a drive to translate such ideas readily into Spanish!

Hi, I am a government official in a “Western” country and prefer to to give my real name. This way I feel I can freely express myself here without worrying about repercussions for my work life, where political standpoints are hardly discussed and where you shape and implement government policy, but you don’t instigate radical changes (that’s for elected officials to do).

I am fascinated by doughnut economics because I am convinced that something other than the current form of capitalism is needed. I think the doughnut depicts the relevant boundary conditions. At the same time, I am not sure the path to the doughnut is really clear. So I am hoping to get a clearer picture here on how to achieve the doughnut.

Hi All,

I’m an independent smart cities advisor and come from a background of 25 years in tech. I’m convinced that our world will become unrecognisable in the next 20 years as technology, economics and politics collide.

Although I studied at the LSE (Computing…many years ago!), I didn’t take any economics (which I now regret), but have been reading avidly over the past year as it’s a fascinating subject. Doughnut Economics particular struck a chord with me and I have been using ideas from it in my work in the energy sector.

Particularly interested in engaging in conversations around energy and cities. I look forward to the discussion!

Regards,
Linda

Hi everyone,

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and coming from an economics background, the views and insights are very refreshing. However, it wasn’t enough - I am after more!

An analyst from Sydney, Australia, that directly works in industries with exposure to and influence on climate change policy, I am eager to learn more make the progress towards the Doughnut something that typical players in the market today are not concerned about, but have a significant role in the space.

Keen on theory and discussion, but even more keen on application, particularly around building up data, developing models, trialling ideas and the like.

Happy to meet new people through this discussion forum, so thank you, Kate for setting this opportunity up.

Best regards,

Rebecca

Hi Kate

I am Mark Dick , a doctor from Northern Ireland, and have written an extended essay / book based on Doughnut Economics concentrating on the two existential threats of inequality and ecological damage.

Best regards

Mark

Hi, I am a complete novitiate to the area of Doughnut Economics - I actually just listened to the Intelligence Squared podcast with Matthew Taylor and was captivated. I bought the book, but have only just started it.

By training I am a computational cognitive scientist and psycholinguist. These days I mostly am trying (with collaborators) to come up with some formalisms for cortical function. I do have some familiarity with systems theory and complexity theory (writ large) and this is part of what ignited my enthusiasm to join, in addition to the general perspective the Doughnut Economics embraces.

Location, location, location: I live in what’s not even jokingly called the “quiet corner” of Connecticut in the US and am research faculty at the University of Connecticut. It’s great to join!

Hi Doughnutters - I’m intrigued by how the parameters, outlined in the Doughnut model, might inform economic, social and environmental policies. I’m hoping to learn from those who have thought longer and deeper than me on these issues.
I was already convinced by elements of the model before I heard Kate on an interview on the radio. I’ve since listened to a podcast and realise that this might be a place where I can think about these ideas more.

Hi. I am Anatoli from Belarus. Automation Engineer. My job is to fire people.

As you can see, we, as Automation Engineers, did everything perfect on our side to free people from the most forms of tedious labour in factories. And now with more AI/ML processing coming up people can be also be free from mundane office hours. However, what we were not aware of while doing our thing, and discovered to our dismay, is that another team who called themselves “economists” totally SNAFUed the system they were supposed to perfect. I mean it is a complex system to balance, but at least somebody could send a signal to us earlier. It all goes up silly to the point that people have to beg for these mundane and useless jobs just to keep themselves alive. I am all in favour of crafting things with my bare hands and being compensated for that, but more and more people willing to do any kind of job for any little money without any saving plans make our job as Automation Engineers less valuable as well and we lose our grounds too.

Here I am. Jobless, looking for a way to fix the problem. My journey so far - industrial hardware automation, software automation, software development automation (devops), open source sustainability (learned about Gratipocalypse and FinCEN mafia), invisible infrastructure which is out of market gameplay, calculating TCLO (total cost of life ownership) as a basic building block for building capacity, year in the core of blockchain technology where no progress could be made without non-liquid tokens (resources that are not convertible into each other like in computer games). Travelled a bit to see the problem of ocean pollution with my own eyes, faced with political technology ruining technical meetup community and erased words “freedom” and “politics” from my dictionary. Now I wannabe a technical problem solver practising the art of “non-traditional ways to solve non-trivial problems” (aka “hacking”) of getting back the fun into the gameplay that non-gamers call Economics.

I stumbled upon Guardian article about Doughtnut Economics a year ago. It could slip past my focus if I was not already obsessed with the problems I saw around in my own activities and in my friends, and an easy answer that economics is the cause of all problems was bouncing from my tongue, but as a technical person I need details. I even went as far as go to our local Economics University to the anniversary Academic conference to enquire knowledgeable people about what is going on with that crisis only to face people discussing how their teacher salaries have dropped because of that in different regions. The only person who could answer my question was a minister of Economics who could not attend because of the urgent CIS meeting about the crisis. Of course, I couldn’t dare to bother the minister. The questions got unanswered for many years until I saw this provoking title.

At first I didn’t get the Doughnut picture, but ideas about dumb endless growth and imperfection of silly GDP metric for our weak human minds that can not comprehend true complexity resonated to me so vividly that I bought the book. Mind you that I am not the person who buys paper books online, and not the person who has the time to read them, but I felt the urge to pass the knowledge and the paper book was the best example to show people something they can remember in a world of thousands tabs.

I couldn’t finish the book, because every new page sparked so many ideas in my head that I had to progress slowly and find more time to feel less stressful that I can not sleep and dream on about how it can be used for the good. One thing that struck me the most was System Dynamics diagram - the thing that I tried to use to understand the financial crisis on my own after I failed to find an Economist who could explain it to me. I found a simulator for Hyman Minsky theory that used that approach and because the capital of my country is Minsk, that could keep my attention for some period. I must say that I’ve crossed out Economics from the list of accurate disciplines in my university and completed that module in advance without any significant effort after understanding the nature of dire approximations that Economists use. Can’t say that I didn’t enjoy that, but that was not serious at all. Having this label for Economics and getting back to the book written by a non-technical person I did not really expect that someone without a background differential equations and feedback loops that constitute the meat and bones of Automation Theory is using Sustem Dynamic - the state of the art human knowledge for dealing with complexity for me at this time bought me in completely. I must admit that I need a refresher of state of the art for the last decade, but so far I haven’t seen anything better than iterative simulation for those things. GameDev scene has a lot and a lot of fabulous technology that helps with computation and making people hooked, but as I was not there, I could not monitor all these things closely. Complexity is the problem and the best games are solving it in very elegant ways, because they just wouldn’t survive otherwise. And there is a lot more common in games with and economic equations with lot of changing variables and the necessity of calculating the next step before it is being made. While I am sure that in 10 years somebody will get Nobel prize for describing all these processes I’ve got a feeling that we don’t have that time and need to experiment and practice with alternative gameplay right away.

Being pressed on time and money after Bitcoin crisis this year I found a shelter in remote Buddhist monastery to stop my race a bit and see how the things work outside of my internet cell and learn more about mindfulness to deal with my middle age crisis. 2000 years ago one person said that people need only 4 basic things - food, clothers, shelter and medicine - and everything else comes from their minds that they can not control. Monks are showing people the pleasure of simple life, by example, to teach them how to stop suffering. This is what I came there for. In exchange for the wisdom that gave me some tools to go on, I gifted the book to a Thailand monk who was a professor of Economics, because what they do by educating people about themselves is so much about the inside part of the Doughnut that I felt that it should find its place on the shelves of their library to be noticed by someone who will finally find a way to evolve and pass the knowledge to the new generation of people.

After six months in Asia I need to rewire my brain back to technical DevOps routines to get food, clothes and shelter (medicine is out of reach for my case), slowly replacing those new concepts and ideas in my head with code pieces. Instead of dedicating this time for experimenting with different gameplay for the future. I can feel sad about it, but I’d like to be practical - there is no way I can change my focus alone and be compensated for something I have no idea or proven skills. Felling kind of burying myself alive in this away, because most of the job proposals for me is just repeating the same things over and over for the next “startup unicorn”. Repetitive and to some degree useless job to do, because there is no time to automate it, but competitive economics keeps pushing people to waste time to repeat the same thing over and over. Good experience for newcomers. However, I am here for a different reason, and I want to change my focus. I want to help with Doughnut Economics, but not just to spread the word or increase awareness. As I said the word “politics” is not among my beliefs, but something that is called protopia is - something that is positive and achievable scenario of the future with only way to get there is to practice it. How about we start today? Here I am waiting for you to build up the capacity to get me on board.

Hi Kate and other members of this exchange platform!
Dear Kate, I am enthusiastic about your “Doughnut Economics: 7 ways…”. Not only does it provide a very clear and mature expose of the ways to reach desirable and sustainable goals for humanity but it can be summarized through the instantly understandable and very memorable image of your doughnut.
You have found the perfect combination of knowledge, wiseness and communication strategy. Bravo!
Many people like me waited during two or three decades for something like that.
Now about myself…
Being 72, I have a long and diversified professional story which includes working as a psychotherapist, a business consultant, creating and managing companies. Since 2002, I have devoted myself to political philosophy with a motto: the overcoming of useless conflicts.
You will find more about my professional experience and my writings here (in French):
People interested in my way of thinking can follow my blog (same address),
while my Facebook page reflects what I find interesting in the news.

Hi, I’m Lydia,

I’m a Fashion Marketing and Branding student (eek, I know) studying at Nottingham Trent University. I’m relatively new to Doughnut Economics but having always been interested in disruptive ideas and challenging the way society is structured, it’s something that has definitely caught my interest.

I am currently starting my final project at university, which I am focussing on our primary role in society shifting from ‘Consumer’ to ‘Citizen’, as well as the idea that prosocial consumption is the bridge between across this chasm. Some of the concepts align well with Doughnut Economics so if anyone is interested I would be more than happy to discuss the concept with them so please feel free to contact me!