Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi, my name is Nicholas, and I’m part of the problem. I’m as addicted and imprisoned in the gilded cage of our economics and social constructs as the majority. I suppose there are a few who have actually managed to break out, and are actually living in balance with nature, but as a species we have a long way to go - without much time to get there.

So then, why am I here?

I want to participate in exploring and discussing how to bring ourselves into balance with the ecologies of the Earth before we have zombie-walked ourselves over the edge of the Abyss. I then want to figure out my role in helping to bring about the changes that we must make to avoid the big bad.

There is no doubt that this is going to be intensely difficult. We have the inertia of our evolutionary drives, the susceptibility to having our emotions hijacked by propagandists, and a lack of will to address abstract slow build existential challenges with the same intensity and will as a proximate personal existential crisis. There are many powerful people who would rather sink on the Titanic from first class than avoid the iceberg by dropping down a deck or two. We also have the problem of our numbers, and the need to withdraw from sensitive ecologies while they can still recover.

It is a massive and deeply difficult problem because it hits us at where we are weakest at a point where we have to find the ability to be heroic in an ongoing effort.

I look forward to hearing from everyone, and participating.

0 Likes

Hi Kate,
I’m Ashish Bharti from India. I’m a mechanical Engineer & working as a technical marketing engineer with a Power Plant equipment manufacturer. I strongly resonate with the ideas of doughnut economy model. I see my country getting into the GDP growth race while ignoring the basic needs of more than half of the population. New policies being formed to sustain or improve the growth rate. even if the new policies act against the requirements at the grass-root level.

I really thank you for this initiative and would like to contribute in anyway I can.

Thanks

0 Likes

I am a retired government employee with 25 years` service, having attended a course at the IMF and also managed our government employees pension fund (when it was only allowed to invest in fixed interest bonds) as opposed to its current portfolio comprising equities, both listed and unlisted.

With my tongue in cheek I wonder why not a square donut thus avoiding square pegs on round holes problems, but in seriousness what forces (man mad vs market related) determine what happens to the doughnut?

0 Likes

Hi Kate and fellow nutters. I am Peter from Bristol, UK. I was inspired on hearing Kate talk at the Bristol New Economy Summit in 2015 which resonated with my personal experience of trying to balance a circular economy outlook with responsibility towards those in our shared planet who not only have so little, but that little is being diminished by our (my) lifestyles.I have lived in Bristol most of my working life (apart from 3 years in West Africa), I run my own small tech business and also manage a Business Incubator working with the most disadvantaged communities in Bristol.

Having recently restructured my business, I am / we are wanting to embed (whatever that means!) the doughnut into our business to be a key driver in our strategy as well as a being the basis for a score card to measure how well we measure up to these goals / intentions.

I am hoping to network with some fellow travellers in this ‘project’ - to learn and be inspired.

0 Likes

Hello Kate, dear friends of Doughnut Economics

Thank you all for your endeavours towards rethinking the science that should allow reason to rule in distributing the material means for human existence. I came across Kate’s blog and book by googling ‘complete economics’, being fed up with the usual narrow ways of addressing economics at the theoretical level. My own field is general methodology, focusing on systematic and strictly integral approaches. I spent many years dealing with systematically complete approaches to science in general, and also to economics.

My own endeavour is to encourage clarity at that level by avoiding all basic assumptions (which are finally mere beliefs) as is usual and leads to the many paradigms and -isms with their limited grasp. Instead I propose to set out directly on the laws of nature that determine the subject matter. This is possible in all scientific disciplines, but it is not the orthodox path. The concept of law of nature was monopolised by natural science with its limited conceptual understanding. A more complete and precise view can reveal a law of nature that regulates all possible forms of economy.

My approach could bridge differences in views and offer a sound basis for developing new systems and practices. For those who are interested in what I offer I wrote an article (“An 8th way of thinking like a 21st century economist”) that is somewhere here on this website.

I hope to hear from you! – Kind regards from Alec in Switzerland

0 Likes

Hello, I discovered your Ted talk last year and immediately was drawn to the principles. Lately, I have been so discouraged by how the Reduce-Reuse- Recycling movement has failed here in the US-we focused on the “recycling” alone all these years. Recycling centers are starting to take recyclables to the landfill as there is no longer a market for some recycled goods. The continued mass production of cheap, low-cost clothing that are used for 1-2 seasons and then discarded. How Amazon is the new Wal-Mart and even more locally owned stores are closing because of this effect (and I’m just as guilty too) and what this means for the future. The list goes on and on. Anyway, I decided to get online to see if I could find ideas of how I could start educating myself and brainstorming with others to bring the doughnut economic principles into my community. I’m a Family Nurse Practitioner and trying to think of ways of incorporating it in the medical field too. Thank you for establishing this platform for us to all connect!

One positive thing that is happening in the medical arena is the Direct Access Primary Care Model. I believe this is inline with doughnut principles and we are starting to see a large influx of these practices opening up. We are removing the health insurance as the middle man and cutting costs drastically to provide good primary care again.

0 Likes

Hi All

My name is Stefan, 48, I work in one of the top consumer research firms in the world. I am responsible for brand and consumer research in the Netherlands. and really want to make an effort to bring the dougnut into my work

I really believe it is indeed time for new thinking.

I am currently trying to find out how I can help to change the general thinking.
But also how I would be able to measure the impact of what we are trying to change. How can I show a company what they are doing. What their impact is.x

I hope I am able to share my learnings and hope to get inspirered by discussions and your learnings.

Looking forward to our new future

0 Likes

I am a retired clinical psychologist/psychotherapist in Germany, especially interested in system thinking. Learned about Doughnut Economics thru the Guardian`s review. Years ago I did a training in systemic counselling/psychotherapy, which gave orientation in my work at a small mental hospital near the Dutch border. For some years I worked as a clinical supervisor for counselling staff in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. I hope to contribute to the discussion thru my experiences in reframing.

0 Likes